Icecat image requirements based on retailer needs
April 25, 2017
The minimum image requirements of major e-tailers, such as Amazon, Media Markt, Carrefour, and Bol.com, are constantly evolving. It is crucial to offer the best customer experience on ecommerce websites to improve conversion. Brands do not always meet these requirements, which implies that e-tailers cannot offer the shopping experience they wish and products might not be listed for sales.
For this reason, Icecat has adopted minimum image requirements for brands to deliver, that meet the needs of all key ecommerce partners:
Image format and size requirements
- Formats accepted: JPEG/JPG, PNG, GIF
- Color modes: RGB, sRGB
- Minimum file size: 30KB
- Maximum file size: 10MB
- Preferable picture size range: 300KB-2MB
Image resolution requirements
- Recommended image resolution: 4,000×4,000 px
- Minimum recommended image resolution: 1,000×1,000 px
- Accepted minimum image resolution: 500×500 px
- Maximum accepted image resolution: 10,000×10,000 px
- Pixels per inch preferred: 72 ppi
Although, technically, the minimum image resolution that Icecat accepts is 500x500px, we recommend to provide images in 4000x4000px to deliver the buying experience that advanced etailers prefer to offer, allowing users to zoom in to view the product’s details.
Main image quality standards
The main image on an Icecat datasheet is the first image in the gallery. This image is the first image a (potential) customer sees and pops up in search results. So, this image should be easily recognizable en highlights the product’s main features.
- Front view of the image is a must, unless it does not represent key benefits, in this case, a side view can be used.
- A white (or transparant) background is a must for a main picture. Preferred is a pure white background (RGB 255/255/255)
- Natural shading or light reflections are only acceptable if they are of high quality, realistic and blend into the pure white background.
- The image must show the entire product.
Main image restrictions
- The image should not contain copyright signs or watermarks.
- The image should not contain advertising language or text overlays.
- Multiple views of the same product in a single image is not acceptable. It may lead to confusion.
- The main image should not be a lifestyle image, the product in use or a body part image (unless strictly necessary).
- No placeholders or broken images are allowed as main image.
- No image with accessories or products that are not included in the delivery.
- No image with website URLs, advertising, pricing, discount information or QR codes.
Other image requirements
- The expected minimum amount of images is 3-5 per product. It is preferable to use different images for different locals.
- The main image requirements are not applicable for additional images in the photo gallery.
- If the picture has a local text, warning, signature, label or screen-fill, it has to be localized (language/country identification). The localization should be the same as the text on the picture.
In the Icecat PIM (Product Information Management system), you can see how your products score on your etailer’s main content requirements. If you want to monitor and improve your product content please register online (FREE).
Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us or comment below this post.
Feature image: Pixabay